Deirdre Harrington - Lecturer
Deirdre M. Harrington PhD
Lecturer in Physical Activity, Sedentary Behaviour and Health, Diabetes Research Centre, University of Leicester
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Current Research Interests:
- Physical activity and sedentary behaviour interventions in children and adults
- Body composition assessment
- School based prevention programmes
- Member, Leicester City Council Health and Wellbeing Board Physical Activity Sub-Group (2013 - )
- Chair, Research Work Group, Ireland’s Report Card on Physical Activity in Children and Youth (2013 - )
- Manuscript Reviewer (selected journals), Diabetologia (2014); BMC Pediatrics (2014); Pediatrics (2012 - 2014); International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (2011, 2014); International Journal of Obesity (2013); Journal of Applied Physiology (2013); Archives of Disease in Childhood (2013); PLoS One (2011 - 2013); Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (2012, 2013); Pediatric Obesity (2012)
- Abstract reviewer, American Heart Association Epidemiology Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism Annual Meeting, 2014
- Grant reviewer, Chief Scientist Office Project Grant Scheme, Scotland, 2012/13
- Member, The Obesity Society Ethics Committee (2011 - 2013)
- Member, International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 2012-
- Member, American Heart Association, 2011-
- Member, The Obesity Society, 2011-
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine, 2009 - 2012
Current Teaching Activities:
- Obesity Module on the Diabetes MSc, University of Leicester
- Diabetes MSc dissertation supervision
Leicester Diabetes Centre (Origin)
Leicester General Hospital
Leicester LE5 4PW, UK
Tel: +44 116 258 8630
- Harrington, D.M., L.B. Sherar, G. O’Donovan. Are physical fitness levels declining in UK children and should we be worried? (Invited Editorial). Archives of Disease in Childhood 2014; 99:1–2. PMID: 24334682.
- Harrington, D.M., C.M. Champagne, S.T. Broyles, W.D. Johnson, C. Tudor-Locke and P.T. Katzmarzyk. Steps Ahead: A Randomized Behavior Change Trial for Reducing Unhealthy Weight Gain in the Lower Mississippi Delta. Obesity (Accepted December 16, 2013).
- Barreira, T.V., D.M. Harrington, P.T. Katzmarzyk. Cardiovascular health metrics and accelerometer measured physical activity levels, NHANES 2003-2006. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2014. 89(1):81-86.
- Harrington D.M., T.V. Barreira, A.E. Staiano, P.T. Katzmarzyk. The descriptive epidemiology of sitting among US adults, NHANES 2009/2010. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (Online ahead of print). doi:10.1016/j.jsams.2013.07.017. PMID: 23988785.
- Staiano A.E., D.M. Harrington, T.V. Barreira, P.T. Katzmarzyk. Sitting time and cardiometabolic risk in U.S. adults: association by race, sex, socioeconomic status and activity level. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2014; 48: 213-219.PMID:23981954.
- Harrington, D.M, C.K. Martin, E. Ravussin, P.T. Katzmarzyk. The relationship between activity related energy expenditure and subjective measures of hunger and satiety. Appetite 2013; 67: 1-7. PMID: 23523668.
- Maher C., E. Mire, D.M. Harrington, A.E.Staiano, P.T. Katzmarzyk. The independent and combined associations of physical activity and sedentary behavior with obesity in adults: NHANES 2003-06. Obesity 2013; 21(2): E730-7. PMID: 23512825.
- Harrington D.M., A.E. Staiano, S.T. Broyles, A. Gupta, P.T. Katzmarzyk. Waist circumference measurement site does not affect the relationship with visceral adiposity and cardiometabolic risk factors in children. Pediatric Obesity 2013; 8(3) 199-206.PMID: 23172858.
- Harrington D.M., A.E. Staiano,S.T. Broyles, A.K. Gupta, P.T. Katzmarzyk. BMI percentiles for the identification of abdominal obesity and metabolic risk in children and adolescents: evidence in support of the CDC 95th percentile. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013; 67(2):218-222. PMID: 23232587.
- Staiano A.E., D.M. Harrington, S.T. Broyles, A.K. Gupta, P.T. Katzmarzyk. Television, adiposity, and cardiometabolic risk in children and adolescents. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2013; 44(1):40-7. (Editor’s choice for Videocast of the Month: http://www.scivee.tv/node/55724 ).
- Dowd, K.P., D.M. Harrington, A.K. Bourke, J. Nelson and A.E. Donnelly. The measurement of sedentary patterns and behaviours using the ActivPALTM Professional physical activity monitor. Physiological Measurement 2012; 33(11):1887-1899. PMID: 23111150.
- Dowd, K.P., D.M. Harrington and A.E. Donnelly. Criterion and Concurrent Validity of the activPALTM Professional Physical Activity Monitor in Adolescent Females.PLoS One2012; 7(10): e47633. PMID: 23094069.
- Harrington, D.M., K.P. Dowd, C. Tudor-Locke and A.E. Donnelly. A steps/minute value for moderate intensity physical activity in adolescent females. Pediatric Exercise Science 2012; 24(3):399-408. PMID: 22971556.
- Barreira T.V., A.E. Staiano, D.M. Harrington, S.B. Heymsfield and P.T. Katzmarzyk. Anthropometric correlates of total body fat, abdominal adiposity, and cardiovascular disease risk factors in a biracial sample of men and women. Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2012; 87(5):452-460. PMID: 22560524.
- Katzmarzyk P.T., T.V. Barreira, D.M. Harrington, A.E. Staiano, S.B. Heymsfield and J.M. Gimble. Relationship between abdominal fat and bone mineral density in White and African American adults. Bone 2012; 50(2):576-9. PMID: 21549867.
- Harrington, D.M., K.P. Dowd, A.K. Bourke and A.E. Donnelly. Cross-sectional analysis of levels and patterns of objectively measured sedentary time in adolescent females. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2011; Oct 28(8):120. PMID: 22035260.
- Barreira T.V., D.M. Harrington, A.E. Staiano, S.B. Heymsfield and P.T. Katzmarzyk. Body adiposity index, body mass index and body fat in White and African American adults. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 2011; 306(8):828-830. PMID: 21862743.
- Harrington, D.M., C. Tudor-Locke, C.M. Champagne, S.T. Broyles, D.W. Harsha, B.M. Kennedy, W.D. Johnson, R. Allen and P.T. Katzmarzyk. Step-based translation of physical activity guidelines in the Lower Mississippi Delta. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 2011; 36(4):583-585. PMID: 21549867.
- Harrington, D.M., G.J. Welk, A.E. Donnelly. Validation of MET estimates and step measurement using the ActivPAL physical activity logger. Journal of Sports Sciences 2011; 29(6):627-633. PMID: 21360402 (Award for Top 10 cited article from JSS within the 2012 Impact Factor Window).
This is the powerhouse of the Biomedical Research Unit, they are involved in study and protocol design, ethics, governance and study delivery, they work very closely with the management / administration, clinical and ... Read more
This is our dedicated team of staff who will be welcoming you and supporting you through your study visits. It is also quite likely that they will be talking you through some ... Read more
This is a small friendly team whose work supports the wider activities of the unit. We are involved in finance, recruitment, patient and public involvement and communications. We also co-ordinate the ... Read more
Are a creative and enthusiastic bunch and are supported in writing, developing and delivering on individual projects within the BRU. They are all very well versed in their respective subject areas, ... Read more
This is our team of skilled staff who ensure the smooth running of both our exercise laboratory and our biomarker analysis and discovery laboratory. If you want to know ‘what’s the best way ... Read more